01_Her job allowed no flexibility, meaning that she frequently came off as humourless and rigid.
● flexibility: 彈性 ● come off as: 形同(某個特質或角色) to seem to be (a specified quality or character) ● humourless/ humorless: 無幽默感的 ● rigid: 堅硬、一成不變的 ※這句可以學習逗號之後加 meaning...進一步補充的用法，還有come off as 後加形容詞用法
02_There were days when it all seemed sordid and doomed; days which, oddly, Katherine romanticized more than the days of hope.
● sordid: 骯髒的，汙穢的，灰褐的 ● doomed: 注定失敗的 ● oddly: 奇怪地 ● romanticized:浪漫化 ※整句句型及分號的用法，以及配對的形容詞一起背更有畫面 記起來"sordid and doomed"就是慘到不行的形容詞
03_He was 41; thin on top and thick round the middle. At work he wore crumpled linen and skinny ties. In the evenings he favoured faded black denims and battered converse.
● crumpled:皺紋的 ● linen: 亞麻質料 ● battered: 弄垮的、被摧殘的 hurt by being repeatedly hit ※學習「外表及穿著」可以描寫到多麼細膩的程度
04_She’d picture them on her own face. She’d conjure the heat and the dust and the stink of rotting goat. She’d imagine how that pissy, cholera-riddled water would taste as it edged its way down her dry little throat and pooled malignantly in her horribly distended belly.
● conjure: 變出、召喚出 ● pissy: 難聞的 ● cholera-riddled: 充滿霍亂的 ● edge: 緩慢移動 move slowly with gradual movements ● malignantly: 懷惡意的 ● distended: 脹的 ※學習觀感差的東西要如何形容，及片語"edge its way down"
05_Here she was by the pool, either drifting her thoughts or squinting through one eye at the array of flesh around her.
● drift: 飄流、遊蕩 ● squinting: 瞇眼看 ● array: 一大批、大量 ● flesh：肉體 ※學習either or的句型用法
06_Brown flesh, reddened flesh; German and English and Italian flesh, all pressed together and sizzling under the sun. It was erotic and vile(unpleasant at the same time
● sizzle:被火烤的吱吱作響 ● eortic: 情色的 ● vile: 粗俗的、極壞的, unpleasant
07_ He’d somehow edged out of the drabness of office life and into a position both admirable and faintly glamorous.
● edge out: 勝出、逼退 ● drabness: 單調乏味 ● admirable:令人欽佩的 ● faintly: 稍為地、模糊地 ● glamorous: 有魅力的
08_Keith entered the water with a graceless dive and then churned a path towards her though the overcrowded, heavily chlorinated stewpot of cooling, pinkening flesh.
● graceless: 一點都不優雅的 ● churn: 攪動 ● overcrowded: 過度擁擠的 ● chlorinated: 氯化的 ● stewpot: 燉鍋
09_When he arrived beside her and stood, unnervingly breathless after a two-meter crawl, a long shoelace of snot(鼻涕)s swung from his left nostril.
● unnervingly: 令人不安地 ● snot: 鼻涕 ※句眼在： a long shoe lace of snots swung from his left nostril 學習「一串鼻涕掛在鼻孔下」怎麼說
10_Making a face, Katherine reached out quickly and tugged it away, washing it from her hand in the blue water and watching it drift towards the filter like some sort of primordial sea life – ribboned and faintly green and seemingly possessed of mind.
● tug it away: pull 扯/拉下來 ● primordial: 原始的 ● ribboned: 像緞帶的 ● possessed of mind: 有腦袋的